The Montevallo Recycling Center serves residents by providing them a place to recycle their household materials at no cost. The recycling center is become a one stop shop for recycling and reusing. We offer easy recycling through a partnership with RePower South. We also have electronic recycling (E-Recycling) through a partnership with Protec Recycling. In addition, we have America’s Thrift Stores donation bins available for all other donating needs. Please click this link to know what donations are and are not accepted. Other local places to take donations include but are not limited to other thrift stores, Shelby Emergency Assistance, The Salvation Army USA, or post your unwanted items on Facebook marketplace to give them a second home. When all else fails, you can take your unwanted items to the Shelby County Landfill.
absolutely no dumping of mattresses, construction materials, appliances, air
filters, trash, or dumping of any kind at after hours (whether recycled
materials or not) at the Montevallo Recycling Center. Violators will be
prosecuted – we have cameras!
The Recycling Center follows all City Hall scheduled holidays including New Year's Day, MLK Day, Presidents Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. If a holiday falls on a Friday or Monday, the Recycling Center will also be closed Saturday in observance of the holiday weekend.
To Recycle Household Items
Step 1: Collect recyclables at home. See this PDF for what items are and are not accepted
All Types of Paper
- Shredded, Office, Magazine, Newspaper, Junk Mail, Coupons, etc.
- Shelby Humane and MAC Animal Hospital will accept newspapers for their puppy pens. MAC Animal Hospital has let us know they are in need, and they have a drop off box at their clinic (4300 HWY 31 Calera, AL 35040)
All Types of Cardboard
- Corrugated and Paperboard
- Make sure materials and flattened and free of styrofoam
- Extra-large cardboard boxes need to be placed over aluminum wall past loading dock.
Plastics #1, #2, and #5
- Soda and Water Bottles (#1)
- Condiment Jars (#1)
- Berry and Salad Containers (#1)
- Tea, Juice and Milk Jugs (#2)
- Liquid Laundry Detergent Bottles (#2) Did you know laundry pods are more sustainable? Make the Switch!
- Soap, Shampoo, and Conditioner Bottles (#2)
- Yogurt Containers (#5)
- Food Storage Containers (#5)
- Red SOLO Cups (#5)
- To-Go Coffee Cups (#5)
- Prescription Bottles (#5)
All Types of Cans
- Steel, Aluminum, and Tin Cans
Items Not Accepted
- No Glass
- No Bulky Plastic Items (Coolers, Bins, Toys or To-Go Containers)
- No Styrofoam (To-Go Containers, Coffee Cups, or Packing Peanuts)
- No Garden Hoses, Rope, Extension Cords, or Chains
- Absolutely No Household Garbage or Food Waste
Step 2: Bring Recyclables to the Center
There is no longer a need to seperate materials and you can now bring materials bagged together!
Step 3: Put Materials Directly into the Compactor
Both sides of the compactor are available for a quick and easy drop off!
Don't forget, the best way to be environmentally friendly is to reuse and reduce what you already have and refuse single use items!
(And here in Spanish)
The City of Montevallo has partnered with Protec Recycling to offer electronic recycling for our residents! E-recycling is offered during normal business hours.
Please see this list of accepted items and this list of non-permissible items.
Anything requiring a fee, we cannot accept.
Phone: (205) 665-2555
Find us on Facebook
Location: 1120 Overland Road, Montevallo, AL 35115
Hours: Monday - Saturday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
The Montevallo Recycling Center follows all holidays observed by The City of Montevallo.