- Study the local market—can Montevallo support your business idea?
- Review the Economic Development page on the City’s website.
- Review the 2017 Market Study and Market Profile commissioned by Montevallo Main Street.
- Contact 58 INC, Shelby County’s economic development organization.
- Contact Montevallo Chamber of Commerce.
- Contact Montevallo Main Street, especially if you’d like to start your business downtown.
- Create your Business Plan.
- See the Small Business Administration’s guidance on writing a business plan.
- Contact Alabama Small Business Development Network for assistance.
- Choose your Business Structure (Sole Proprietorship, Partnership, Corporation, S Corporation, Limited Liability Company, etc.)
- Review the IRS’ guidance on starting a small business.
- Visit the Alabama Secretary of State website.
- Identify Business Location.
- Contact Montevallo Chamber of Commerce for assistance in any area.
- Contact Montevallo Main Street for assistance in the downtown area.
- Zoning Verification and Building Permits.
- Schedule meeting with Montevallo City Clerk (205-665-2555, ext. 105)
to verify the zoning and permitted land uses of your prospective location and to discuss building permits for any potential renovations. All renovations must meet the current building code.
- If your business location is in the Urban Core or Scenic Corridor Overlay District, your renovations and signage will be subject to review by the Design Review Committee.
- Building Inspection.
- Schedule building inspection from Shelby County Development Services at least 3 weeks prior to the date you plan to open your business. Your building inspection must be complete and final before you can proceed to the next step.
- Health Department.
- Schedule health department inspection, if applicable to your business type, at least 2 weeks in advance of your opening date.
- For Shelby County Health Department Environmental Services, click here.
- Fire Inspection.
- Schedule fire inspection from Montevallo Fire Department at least 2 weeks prior to the date you plan to open your business. All building inspections must be complete and final, per Shelby County Development Services, before a fire inspection can be conducted. To request a fire inspection, review the Pre-Inspection Checklist and submit a Request for Fire Inspection Form.
- Purchase business license from City Hall.
- Please note: Before a business license can be issued, you MUST have a complete and final building inspection and fire inspection, and a health department inspection (if applicable).
- Complete the Business
License Application online or visit City Hall.
- Open for business!
- Thank you for choosing Montevallo!
- Montevallo Chamber of Commerce hosts ribbon cuttings for their dues-paying members. Contact them for information.